Select Page

LOS ANGELES.–Hamas told the AP that it has agreed to a new ceasefire deal that would involve the release of all remaining Israeli hostages in exchange for Israel releasing hundreds of jailed Palestinian prisoners and removing Israeli Defense Forces [IDF] from Gaza.  AP cited only unnamed sources, claiming that the war was nearing an end.  Hamas agreed to three phases, (1) where the agreement would start a 42-day ceasefire, including releasing 33 hostages, including children, women, female soldiers, men over the age of 50 and humanitarian cases.  Nowhere in the agreement that Hamas must leave the Gaza Strip or than any new authority would not involve Hamas in any future role in Gaza.  When you listen to the Hamas-approved deal, it doesn’t look like one that would be approved by 75-year-old Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, opposed to any future role for Hamas in Gaza.

            Netanyahu has seen many Hamas deals since the Oct. 7, 2023 massacre that saw 1,200 Israelis raped, tortured and slaughtered with another 250 taken hostage.  Hamas has refused to release the remaining hostages knowing they have no leverage left with Israel.  IDF officials think Hamas has started to rearm in the Gaza Strip, a bad sign for any future deal.  No one really knows the details of the second and third phases of any ceasefire deal, knowing that Netanyahu would not agree to allow Hamas to ruling the Gaza Strip.  Hamas, reportedly, agrees to release the remaining hostages but only if Israel agrees to leave the Gaza Strip completely. Whether this new Hamas deal flies with Netanyahu is anyone’s guess. It sounds much like past agreements where Hamas keeps its leverage by holding onto hostages until they get everything they want from the Israeli government.

            Israel killed Hamas leader in exile Ismail Haniyeh was killed July 31, 2024 remotely by Israel in Tehran.  Hamas Supreme leader Yahya Sinwar was killed by Israel Oct. 16, 2024, essentially decapitating Hamas leadership.  Over the last year, Israeli has decapitated Hamas leadership that that of its Iranian proxy group, Beirut-based Hezbollah. Hamas has every reason to continue its war with Israel believing one day they would prevail in exterminating the Jewish State.  “This is the only time since Nov. 2023 that we are really negotiating with Hamas, and others are no playing a game in negotiations,” and Israeli official told Fox News.  But that same officials doesn’t know whether the agreement would be acceptable to Netanyahu.  Releasing Israeli hostages in dribs-and-drabs has been nerve-racking for Israelis, especially Netanyahu that doesn’t want to be out-negotiated by Hamas.

            Whatever Hamas agreed to, it doesn’t mean it’s acceptable to Netanyahu.  President-elect Donald Trump put more pressure on Hamas saying that if the hostages aren’t released by Inauguration Day, there will be “hell of pay” for not heeding his warnings.  Whether there’s any real rational leadership in Hamas is anyone’s guess. You’d think after all this time the U.S. and its EU allies would have told Hamas in no uncertain terms they must leave the Gaza Strip.  Why Hamas is still negotiating at all is beyond comprehension.  Hamas is chartered to destroy Israel.  How would Netanyahu trust any agreement with a group single-minded focus to destroy Israel?  Biden’s national security team led by 63-year-old Antony Blinken have done next to nothing trying to get a ceasefire deal with Hamas.  President Joe Biden’s couldn’t decide whether to attack Israel or Hamas.

            Until the new Trump administration makes clear that Hamas must leave the Gaza Strip, then any ceasefire agreement or hostage exchange would be worthless.  Trump warned Hamas but it’s doubtful Hamas would release their only remaining leverage before he takes office.  After taking office, Trump is likely to tell Netanyahu to finish off the terrorist group if it doesn’t vacate the Gaza Strip.  Time for negotiation has long since passed for Israel with Hamas. It’s now up to the U.S. and EU to demand that Hamas leave the Gaza Strip.  Trump’s warning to Hamas should be taken seriously since, unlike the Biden White House, Trump has no ambiguity of whose side he’s on.  Biden always negotiated with Israel with a pre-Sept. 11 mindset, thinking he must put pressure on Israel to get concessions for Palestinians.  Trump has no sympathy for Palestinians, only appropriate contempt.

            Hamas has six more days to figure out what to do with the Israeli hostages.  Instead of trying drive a hard bargain that doesn’t work for Netanyahu or Trump, Hamas should get real about their continued role in Gaza.  No one in the U.S. or EU believes that Hamas can be trusted with the mammoth task of rebuilding the Gaza Strip. Hamas has 20-year history of looting the Gaza Strip from donor cash, making millionaires and billionaires out of Hamas officials.  No future donor can trust Hamas with money.  Hamas leader in exile Khaled Meshaal, 68, is reportedly worth $4 billion.  Well, how did that happen?  Before anyone can get serious about a ceasefire or end to the war, Hamas must get out Gaza. Biden couldn’t make it happen but now the responsibility falls on Trump.  Trump already warned Hamas to release all the hostages or face the consequences.

About the Author

John M. Curtis writes politically neutral commentary analyzing spin in national and global news. He’s editor of OnlineColumnist.com and author of Dodging The Bullet and Operation Charisma.